St. Anne’s congregation had its beginning with meetings held in Horton Hall, the second floor of a building on Main Street. On November 24, 1850, meetings moved to the present location on Church Street where the church hall stands. The church itself, a wood frame structure of Gothic architectural style, was begun shortly afterward, the cornerstone being placed on June 10, 1853. The plans for the church buildings were furnished by James Renwick, the architect for St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York City and the original building of the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, DC. Because of the fame of its architect and to its prominence among churches in the DownEast Area, St. Anne’s is listed in the National Registry of Historical Landmarks. The church was consecrated on May 11, 1854, and has been in continuous service ever since.
The parish facility includes the church with a seating capacity of 150, a recently-restored pipe organ, and the clock tower containing a four-face clock and bell. Due to vigorous fund-raising, generous donations, and many hours of volunteer work, the major restoration was completed in 2007 on portions of the church interior, the underpinnings, and the pinnacles on the clock tower.
In 2008 a new parish hall was completed that replaced the outdated, undersized, and rundown original hall. The Parish Hall now includes a modern kitchen, offices, classrooms, bathrooms, a modern, energy-efficient heating system, a Sacristy, and a choir room. The Hall is a hub of community activity as we host wellness classes such as yoga and Zumba, 12-step meetings, veteran’s groups, and church events.
In 2010 the clock in the church tower was completely restored by David Graf of Portland, ME. It had not been working for more than twenty-five years. Today it keeps accurate time, thanks to Geoff Maker and other volunteers who made this all possible as well as a benefactor who provided the funds. In the fall of 2017, a major renovation and repair of the tower was undertaken and the clock and tower are even more beautiful.
St. Anne’s also owns and maintains a rectory — a big, beautiful older home just a few blocks from the church.
During its 163 years, twenty-six priests served the parish. Currently, The Rev. Sara Gavit serves as Rector and Ms. Sherry Sivret as Parish Administrator.